Bengali Optional Subject Syllabus of WBCS Main Exam
Module & Topic Wise Syllabus for Bengali Optional Subject : Paper – I
1) Topics from the History of Bangla Language.
- The chronological track from Proto Indo-European to Bangla (Family tree with branches and approximate dates).
- Historical stages of Bangla (Old, Middle, New) and their linguistic features.
- Dialects of Bangla and their distinguishing characteristics.
- Elements of Bangla Vocabulary.
- Forms of Bangla Literary Prose-Sadhu and Chalit.
2) Process of Phonetic Changes in Bangla Language.
- Apinihiti (Anaptyxis),
- Abhishruti (Umlaut),
- Samibhavan (Assimilation),
- Svarabhakti / Viprakarsha,
- Svarasangati (Vowel harmony)
3) Problems of standardization and reform of alphabet and spelling and those of transliteration and Romanization.
4) History of Bangla Literature.
- Periodization of Bangla Literature: Old Bangla and Middle Bangla.
- Roots and reasons behind the emergence of modernity in Bangla Literature.
- Evolution of various Middle Bangla forms: Mangal kavyas, Vaishnava lyrics, Adapted narratives (Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata) and religious biographies.
- Narrative and lyric trends in the nineteenth century Bangla poetry.
- Development of prose.
- Bangla dramatic literature (nineteenth century, Tagore, Post-1944 Bangla drama).
5) Tagore and Post Tagoreans (upto the decade of fifties).
6) Fiction, major authors:
- Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay
- Rabindra Nath Tagore
- Saratchandra Chattopadhyay
- Bibhutibhusan Bandopadhyay
- Tarasankar Bandopadhyay
- Manik Bandopadhyay
7) Women and Bangla Literature.
- Swarna Kumari Devi
- Ashapurna Devi
- Mahasweta Devi
- Rajlakshmi Devi
- Kabita Singha
- Nabanita Deb Sen
Module & Topic Wise Syllabus for Bengali Optional Subject : Paper – II
Section – A
1) Vaishnava Padavali (Calcutta University Publication). Phases (Parjayas): Gourchandrika, Purvaraga, Abhisar, Mathur, Prarthona.
2) Chandimangal: Kalketu episode by Mukunda (Sahitya Akademi).
3) Meghnadbadh Kavya by Michael Madhusudan Dutta – 1st, 2nd and 3rd cantos.
4) Rajani by Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay.
5) Kapalkundala by Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay.
6) Samya and Bangadesher Krishak by Bankimchandra Chattopadhyay.
7) Punascha by Rabindranath Tagore.
8) Bichitra Prabandha by Rabindranath Tagore.
9) Chacha Kahini by Sayed Muztaba Ali.
10) Chandragupta by Dwijendralal Roy.
11) Grihadaha by Saratchandra Chattopadhyay.
12) Adhunik Bangla Kabita
- Saswati by Sudhindranath Dutta
- Rabindranath by Achintya Kumar Sengupta
- Aami Kabi Jata Kamarer by Premendra Mitra
- Bandir Bandana by Buddhadeb Basu
- Amar Koifiat by Kazi Nazrul Islam
13) Prabandha Samgraha by Pramatha Choudhuri: Selected Essays: Bharatchandra, Birbal, Boipara
14) Pather Panchali by Bibhutibhusan Bandyopadhyay
15) a) Ekaler Galpo Sanchayan – Vol.- 1 & 2 (Calcutta University Publication).
b) Selected Stories:
- Payomukham by Jagadish Gupta
- Haraner Natjamai by Manik Bandyopadhyay
- Fossil by Subodh Ghosh
- Tope by Narayan Gangyopadhyay
- Adab by Samaresh Bose
- Aswamedher Ghora by Dipendranath Bandyopadhyay
16) Shrestha Kavita by Jibanananda Das.
17) Jagori by Satinath Bhaduri.
18) Ebam Indrajit by Badal Sircar.